Saturday, 25 April 2015

My Little School Story

Everyone enjoys their school life. As for me I didn't enjoy much. I encountered bitter moments compared to sweet ones. As I’ve told in my previous blog entry, I had stuttering problem and it was real bad. Teachers and friends were mean to me most of the time but I managed to pull through all those difficult moments and be someone now and not someone who I was in school. I was timid and reserved person during my schooling. I was very much isolated and I had few friends during my primary school. Only later when, stuttering went away, I began to talk more and had a circle of good friends during my teenage life. My friends were more understanding and kind during my secondary school. I hate to recall all my bad moments during my childhood especially in school. I try to forget my past and moved on actually. But somehow, there were some moments that I could not forget during my primary school. It was the canteen day..


school badge....i just adore it till today

            Most primary schools nowadays do not organize canteen day and I felt such a waste. They have “Hari usahawan” instead which is so different compared to those days canteen days. During my primary schooling, Canteen Day was held in the month of June. However, the preparation for the day was done months before. We will be eager waiting for the day to come. Concentration will not be in lesson. We will always talk about the preparation in the class. Our class teacher will ask all of us to bring the food to sell during the day. I can remember I’m always in charged for the chicken rice. I will only bring the rice and some of my friends will bring the other dishes for the chicken rice. I remembered how my mother and I will get up as early as 4.00 a.m to prepare the rice. I was so grateful to mum as she did not even grumble once doing those works for me. She did it for my happiness. She always wanted me to enjoy my school days. My teacher had to come to my house to pick the big pot of rice as my father did not own a car. I felt so special as my class teacher will come to my house and I seriously felt privileged and would brag to my friends about it. It was a big thing for me(sigh).


the building looks new even though its more than a century


             On canteen day, we will be up early and went to school very early too. We had to set up our stalls and we had to write the price tag for each food. Our “trademark” food for our class was always the chicken rice and by 10.00 o’clock, the food will be sold out. It was so delicious and mouth watering. Sometimes, we don’t even get the chance to taste our food. We will be selling cakes, ice cream, laksa and others during that day. The purchase will be done in coupons and not money. We had to buy coupon, days before the canteen day as they will sell the coupon at a different price on Canteen Day. Mother will give RM 5 to purchase my coupons. RM 5 was a huge amount for us 25 years ago. Not only that, the class that gets the most coupon will be the winner and we will receive a gift for that and usually it will be in cash. I remembered one of the classes where the class teacher Pn. Siti Zubaidah, a pretty and princess look like teacher who always have competitions and the gifts were Barbie dolls. We will spend so much to win in the competition and who wouldn't want a BARBIE DOLL!!!!!!!!! Her class was the winner every year and it was because of us who spent our fortune to get the prize. hahahah!!!! It was fun, she even had a toy flower which dances when we speak. It was amazing. We will buy tickets over and over again just to get a chance to talk to the disco flower. haha!!! It was fun. I had the most exciting moment during my school canteen day. The canteen was open to outsiders and as we were in Convent girl’s school, and invitation to the boys’ school was heaven for some girls and not for me. I hated boys very much. I thought they were a nuisance. My friends will go gaga over these boys as they felt excited to see them. My friends will get to meet their admires during that time and love blossomed during the canteen day(sigh). I was introvert so i didn't know and had no intention  to know anyone. The atmosphere during the canteen day was so lively and we will feel sad when the day was over. That day, we can see the entrepreneurship in us. I love to do business during my canteen day.

those days....


            Until today, I cherished those moments during my primary school. Sad to say that, I feel my students do not enjoy as much as my friends and I enjoyed during our school time. Time flies and the activities and environment changed. I hope that my students will encounter better moments compared to mine as school memories last forever in us.

1 comment:

  1. vila akka... I think kids nowadays grow up too fast. haha. yeah I understand what you mean by enjoy the little things. I once joined a traditional clothing fashion show when I was in primary school just for fun, and it was soooo much fun. haha. really, kids need to just have fun.

    ReplyDelete